ToHeart 2 X-Rated Review: A Little Rain, A Lot of Sunshine

A Personal Aside...

    My first foray into Aquaplus was, as I expect many Americans' to have been, Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception on the PSP in the mid-'00s. It left just the worst taste in my mouth, especially as I was looking for an SRPG, and was met with more visual novel with SRPG systems in play. Good lord, and the tutorials? You go 40 hours in and it's still introducing systems to you.

    It wouldn't be until 2011 with Aquapazza that I'd dip my feet back into the company, having all the context of both, "I like airdashers" and "I like Examu" to carry my interest. It also did not go well; the game felt too rigid, coming from Persona 4 Arena, BlazBlue, and Arcana Heart. Next was Dungeon Travelers 2, a game I really only feel like was tangentially related as "the sequel to a spin-off game that featured characters from some game you've never played," but I'm easy to please when it comes to dungeon crawling. I had finally found my first (very loosely related) Aquaplus game I liked.

    So White Album's remaster on Steam was released, and I pulled the trigger because I was very familiar with the song (my Spotify is a mess). Met with the an Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam, but a slew of negative reviews calling White Album "perfectly average" online, I really wasn't expecting a lot out of it. I'll get more into it as I do intend to write up its own review, but the best thing it did was get me in the mood to read White Album 2.

    My reading of White Album 2 was also with all the accompanying media proposed on the Fuwanovel walkthrough site, something I'd affectionately begin to refer to as the White Album 2 Cinematic Universe. It was astounding, resonated with me on several levels being an old person with a lot of regrets, seeking comfort in all the wrong places.

    So after my WA2 mourning period, I started The Shell Volume 1, and just wasn't into it. I needed more sappy shit. I needed...another dating sim. Very few people can admit to not liking White Album 2, and just as much, people can admit to not liking ToHeart 2, so...

ToHeart 2 X-Rated

Introduction

    ToHeart 2 is a dating sim developed by Leaf and published by Aquaplus in 2004. Just like White Album 2, there's a Cinematic Universe with light novels, drama CDs, mangas, and OVAs, but unlike White Album 2, it's not translated yet. ToHeart 2 also received an X-Rated patch that adds, well, additional parts to each route, as well as some additional routes altogether. 

    I'll be dropping the X-Rated portion of the tag, because I feel ridiculous putting that, but I played the most recent unofficial translation by Ittaku Subs, following the Fuwanovel walkthrough. You don't really need the walkthrough past a certain point, as playing it once will introduce you to almost the entire cast, and from there, you just follow whoever you want around on the map until she loves you.

    You play as Takaaki Kouno, first-year boy with an "uncomfortability around women." I think it just comes with that age. There are nine routes (with, technically, ten romantic interests), plus a bad route, and a lot of them follow some pretty safe tropes: innocent childhood friend, ojou-sama type, quiet bookworm, loud tomboy, etc. The route typically plays out with an initial conflict, clearing that up, and then comes up with a new conflict where Takaaki finds himself romantically intertwined with the other through the resolution. More on the individual scenarios later.

My Review

Non-Spoiler Thoughts 

    I bring up the personal aside initially because I was blaming why I wasn't as invested in this game on that I had just come from White Album 2, but after playing all the routes, I can comfortably say that this game shouldn't be passed on because it has a ton of charm. The heroines are true to their tropes where they need to be, but are prone to deviate in ways that add to their character without feeling out-of-place. Written as tropes, but they evolve into their own person as the game goes on.

    The main character will drive you nuts with some of his predilections against women, but he doesn't ever feel misogynistic. However, his "uncomfortability around women" tends to exist solely to drive the plot in circles, and when he finally gets his shit together, he typically resolves the conflict by showing any sort of resolve. Depending on the route and its length, this doesn't feel terrible, usually, but there was one route specifically where it felt just exhausting. He does have these nighttime musings, and they're...honestly some of my favorite parts in the game. Just thinking about the world and all that's in it, or craving various types of noodles.

    I had a thought about five routes in that this game is so bizarre in that my favorite character had one of my least favorite routes, and my favorite route came from a character I'd say is...maybe top 3? Not many other games have that sort of deviation for me (Aokana, for instance, my favorite route was my favorite girl, too, and my second favorite route was...my second favorite girl). ToHeart 2 feels like the characters interact with each other ways that don't betray their own emotions they contend with during their own routes. One character, for instance, knows she's in love with Takaaki, and in other routes, has her own "give him away" scene.

    Ultimately, of the full count of routes, I'd say there were 6 routes well worth reading (3 that were outstanding), 1 I didn't care for, and 2 that just fell flat (I admit, one falling flat was because the translation felt off the entire time). I found myself caring for almost every character, though, and it was a joy to see other girls pop up not in their route. Manaka would show up to hit me with "hey, remember to be responsible!" and I was always pleasantly surprised by her inclusion. The first route took me about 12 hours to get through (the common route is integrated into each account to varying degrees), while each other route typically took 4-6 hours.

    The other core elements around the game like its visuals, soundtrack, and additional sound effects, are all well done. The OST is a little skimpy, but I didn't find myself wishing for something else. It's unintrusive, with the additional sound effects (particularly in Ma-ryan's case) are well-placed and just campy enough.

Semi-Spoiler Thoughts

Full Spoiler Thoughts

Kosaka Tamaki

Komaki Manaka

Tonami Yuma

Sasamori Karin

Kusakabe Yuki

Lucy/Ruuko Maria Misora

Himeyuri Sango/Ruri

Kusugawa Sasara

Afterword

    After you finish all the routes, and the Bad Route (where Takaaki realizes that the girl Yuuji refers to a lot as his one true love, a girl who appeared in the park one day with a sunflower hat and blue sundress, before disappearing, was actually Takaaki when Tamaki forces him to crossdress, it's implied they get together), you get a fancy little CG:

Konomi congratulating you for finishing the game
Thanks Konomi, I feel like I really did it.

Final Thoughts

    Walking away from ToHeart 2 X-Rated, I don't feel like my world is ending, like I have other titles. It's a fun romp, with cute characters, and you can tell where other titles drew their inspiration from, from this and other games of its generation. The game itself took around 70 hours to complete, and that's not a 100% playthrough for CGs (you have to play through Tamaki's route after making a decision about lingerie three separate times).

    It's a great game for if you're into seeing the historical perspective of visual novels and dating sims from this specific era, either before you move onto the PC-98 era, or maybe just whatever else from this one (Fate Stay/Night? The hell is that?). If you're looking for something to blow you away, especially if you're familiar with the genre and medium, it may fall a little flat with some of its long plotlines.

    I think, one of the big standouts to me is that the stakes never feel particularly high. It's like conflict exists, but most of the game focuses less on it and more of developing the character through the first conflict, and how this newly developed character deals with the second conflict. It IS a dating sim, so I suppose that can be expected, but the grasp at emotions feels weaker than other dating sims, even in comparison to some from the PC-98 era. But, you know, if you're looking for something without high stakes, take a crack at it!

    It also comes packaged with two separate games: a puzzle game, Doki2 Panic Library!, and Super Sweets Scramble. The first is a puzzle fighter of sorts, while the second is a shmup. Both allow you to unlock more characters, with different aspects to each character in both games. Throw them in a mystery bracket at your local fighting game event. Do it.

    That's about it for me. I've started Little Busters!, so expect a write-up to that sometime, and probably White Album 1 before that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introductory Post